COVID Announcement for 2021-22 Season
The health and safety of our young athletes, staff, and volunteers have always been and will always remain our highest priorities. To create safer environments for everyone, below, you will find a summary of actions that the Morris Plains Basketball Association will implement to help ensure we are lowering COVID-19 risks as much as possible while also allowing our young athletes to play.
- Intensifying cleaning and disinfection of shared/team equipment within our facilities (e.g., basketballs)
- Reducing physical closeness or contact between athletes when possible
- Limiting gym access during practice times to athletes and coaches only. All other individuals are requested to remain outside of the gym
- Maintaining a supply or facility access to hand sanitizer to promote good hygiene practices
- Complying with N.J. COVID-19 Public Health Recommendations for K-12 Schools, including coaches, parents, and spectators wearing a face-covering indoors, regardless of vaccination status. By doing this, it helps set a good example for our young athletes
- Requiring athletes and officials to wear a face-covering indoors when not actively engaged in a practice or game (athletes and officials have the option to wear a mask during practices or games)
- Not permitting anyone known or observed with a fever or any symptoms of COVID-19 to participate in activities
- Replacing our team benches used for games with individual chairs to promote physical distancing
- Limiting competition with surrounding towns to those with a written and communicated COVID-19 prevention plan
- Maintaining protocols for when an athlete or coach presents with symptoms of COVID-19, quarantine periods, coordination with surrounding towns (when applicable), and coordination with public health authorities
The most important way to prevent illness is to practice good hygiene (e.g., handwashing), cough etiquette, and stay home when sick or in contact with someone who has COVID-19. We would encourage parents to provide their athlete with a face mask, hand sanitizer, towel, and water bottle labeled with their names.
If parents, athletes, coaches, program administrators, and officials work together and follow these precautions we can help keep everyone healthy and safe. Failure or inability to follow any of these important safety measures will put young athletes, whole teams, family members, and others at a health risk and potentially jeopardize basketball games or the season.
These guidelines may change in response to any future state or local health department and school district recommendations or requirements. We will be sure to notify parents of any changes to our plan.
If you have any questions or comments please send an email to